Thursday, January 31, 2008

Laughter, Learning and Living, NOT Fighting!

Article 3

Everyone has the right to life, liberty, and security of person.

Laughter, learning and living is what all children should have the right to, not fighting. It is estimated by UNICEF that 250,000 children are soldiers. Children soldiers are forced to fight a war that they do not belong in. Instead of playing with toys, reading books, and enjoying freedom of imagination, children are taken from their families and live in a nightmare of violence, abuse, and hatred.

Reading "A Long Way Gone: Memoir of a Boy Soldier" by Ishmael Beah, I am brought into the world of a young man who has already lived a lifetime of memories unforgotten. A story told by one and suffered by more than two hundred thousand. I can't even begin to comprehend the magnitude of horror, hurt, and fear.

Ishmael's story is an inspiration of hope, determination, and freedom. He is a hero all to know and to think of when we hear stories about children soldiers. If you have read Ishmael's story, you have learned how one child fought to stay alive and survived. What we may not realize are all of the individual stories that each child soldier has to tell. According to Human Rights Watch, there are about 20 different countries where children are forced to be soldiers.

This year, under the Women's and Youth Forum, the Human Rights Committee aims to build public awareness on children soldiers. We intend to keep apprised of conflicts where children are used as soldiers and will work to collaborate with organizations to help address the issue.

"I was so afraid of dying. But my friends warned me if the rebel commanders detected any fear in me they would kill me. So I had to pretend to be brave."
Charles, 12 Years Old

Rwandan Refugee

"I just want to go home and be with my family."
Christopher, 12 Years Old
Uganda

No comments: